The world’s ultimate wildlife migration, starring up to 1.5 million Wildebeests and thousands of Thompson’s gazelle and Zebra happens in the plains of East Africa every year. It is one of the most sought after travel experiences, displaying spectacular wildlife behavior and the power of nature at work. You would not want to miss the unique opportunity to witness the most magnificent creatures on Earth from the best front row seats.
Over 2 million glorious animals migrate from Serengeti National Park in Tanzania to the Masai Mara National Reserve in Kenya. This astounding Wildebeest migration is hailed as one of the ‘Seven National Wonders of Africa.’
Where and When to See the Great Migration
The great migration is caused by the dry season, starting from June up till October. From the plains of the Serengeti in the South to the Masai Mara in the North. Although, this year, early signs of the migration have already been witnessed. More than 250,000 Wildebeest start the trek, but not all make it to the end of the year as the distances are vast fraught with many dangerous river crossings. By the end of summer, typically in September, the animals start their journey back to the Serengeti National Park.
Fact: Wildebeest can live up to forty years old, but most only reach the age of twenty.
Best time to Witness the Migration
Now that you know how the Wildebeest Migration works, you can easily choose the best time to go and witness this wonder, depending entirely on which event you’re personally interested to see.
|Calving Season||January – March||Southern Serengeti|
|Predator Action||January – March||Southern Serengeti|
|Mating Season||January – March||Southern Serengeti|
|Grumeti River Crossing||May – July||Western Serengeti|
|Mara River Crossing||July – September||Northern Serengeti|
|On the Move||October to December||Northern Serengeti & Masai Mara|
Fact: After 10 minutes of birth, wildebeest calves can stand up on their feet and are ready to move with the herd.
Best Places to Stay
Accommodation for the great migration safari can be divided into two categories: mobile camps and permanent lodges. Each has different benefits, but picking one depends on what is important to you.
There are many luxury tented safari camps available for accommodation. The great Wildebeest migration is truly worthy of being in your bucket list. So make sure you have the right place to witness it.
Some of the best accommodation providers to witness different events of the great migration include:
Calving season: Sanctuary Kusini
Predator action: &Beyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
Grumeti River Crossing: &Beyond Grumeti Serengeti Camp
Mara River Crossing: Sayari Camp
On the move: Sand River Camp Masai Mara
For expert advice and more options of lodges to stay at, get hold of the Migration expert, Pierre Pitlo at African Safari Experts.
Current Location of the Herd
This year the herd has skipped the Grumeti reserve altogether and instead have headed to the North with speed. Crossings have been witnessed along the Mara River. The herd has entered the Masai Mara near the Mara Triangle, probably due to late rains in Kenya.
Post COVID-19 Safety Measures by Accommodation Camps
As the world faces the COVID-19 pandemic, safari camp owners continue to stay up to date and take all necessary steps to ensure the safety of their employees, guests, and communities. The following measures are adopted to ensure everyone’s well being and safety.
- Educating employees about the virus and guidelines established by the WHO.
- Educating guests about the latest safety measures and procedures to make the stay safe.
- All luggage will be sanitized and no inter person contact during check-in.
- The use of digital payments will be encouraged over cash transactions.
- Hand sanitizers and washbasins will be set up for the guests.
- Face masks available for guests and employees.
Airlines Flying to Nairobi and Kilimanjaro from the United States and Europe
Several airlines are flying to Nairobi and Kilimanjaro from various US airports. A few of the airline providers are:
Book your ticket for as low as $486 with special offers for the great wildebeest migration. Contact us for further assistance.
Post COVID-19 Safety Measures by Airlines
Airlines have also unveiled multi-faceted measures for passengers and employees by redefining hygiene and safety standards on the ground as well as onboard. The following measures are adopted by airlines to ensure passenger safety and a smooth flight.
- Complimentary hygiene kits, including gloves, masks, hand sanitizer, and antibacterial wipes are provided to passengers.
- Thermal scanners have been installed in the check-in area to monitor the temperature of employees and passengers.
- Social distancing indicators have been positioned in the check-in and waiting areas.
- Lavatories have been equipped with hand washing instructions and sanitizing soap.
- Ensure passengers observe social distancing in flight.
- The cabin crew will be fully dressed in PPEs.
- To limit the risk of infection, all print reading material will not be available.
- Pillows, headphones, blankets, toys and other comfort items are hygienically sealed
- All cutlery and utensil are sanitized.
Due to the interruption in tourism this year there are some excellent discounts available so contact us today and find out how you can witness the Migration at excellent prices. Get ready and pack your bags for this once in a lifetime experience! Witness the exotic African wildlife at its best and enjoy the exhilarating migration from Serengeti to the Masai Mara.
For more reading on the Great Migration read our other blog on the Great Migration.